This teaching intends to provide students with an orientational foundation of how the modern world is proceeding more and more towards an increase in globalization.
In this way, the themes which are addressed will give space-time interpretation regarding the processes involved in the production, usage and organization of the various territories.
In this context, it becomes essential to study each specific local reality, to understand the socio-economic imbalances reflected on a planetary scale and to provide an interpretation to the current debate regarding g the sustainable usage of the Earth's resources.
In fact, if the globalization process seems to bring a loss of local character, on the other hand, it accentuates the differences among each locality, in terms of their individual socio-ecological contradictions.
In the final part of the course, the ties between cultural heritage and geography will be examined, using Abruzzo as a case study through its landscape, history, tradition and literature.
Part I) Physical Geography and Cartography
The following themes will be discussed:
- spatial coordinates and measurements;
- atmosphere and climate;
- territorial modeling.
Part II) Current Human Geography
Among the principal themes, of particular relevance are:
- the geographic discipline (definitions, methods and tools);
- the geography of the population (demography, migration, culture, identity, language, religion)
- the political geography (nations, borders, conflicts);
- the urban geography (birth of the city, models, characteristics, dynamics);
- the economic geography (development, agriculture, industry, tertiary, globalization,);
- the environmental geography (natural resources, sustainability).
Part III) Cultural Geography:
- cultural heritage as a resource
- Geo-literature and territorial promotion
- Historic geography of Abruzzo;
- The traditions of Abruzzo as hypotheses for cultural and touristic promotion of the region
E.L.Palmieri, M. Parotto, Scienze della Terra per tutti, Bologna, Zanichelli, 2018
A.L., Geografia umana. Un approccio visuale, Torino, UTET, 2016
S. Scorrano, Le acque sacre in Abruzzo. Dal culto allo sviluppo territoriale, Ortona, D'Abruzzo Libri Edizioni Menabò, 2016
The use of a geographical atlas is recommended in combination with the preparatory texts for the exam and may be brought to the exam site.
A scelta dello studente uno dei seguenti testi:
D. Ciampoli, Cicuta. Introduzione a cura di Silvia Scorrano, Chieti, Solfanelli, 2018.
M. Marengo, Geografia e letteratura, Bologna, Patron, 2016,
G. Corna Pellegrini, Geografia diversa e preziosa, Roma, Carocci, 2007,
Students with 9 CFU are exempted from being evaluated on the optional text.