University G. d’Annunzio - Architectural Department
Master degree in Architecture
Design 1 course
2° year (ICAR13 - 6 Cfu)
Prof. Massimo Di Nicolantonio
Design relates to the theories, methods, techniques and tools of the industrial product project, in its building, technology, functional, formal characters, modalities of use and relations established with the socio-cultural and technical-productive context. Design embraces therefore multiple issues ranging from the product design, to its consumption, its disposal by placing its field of action in an area of interaction between morphological, technological and sociological spheres. Yacht design is framed as one of the possible areas of research of this discipline.
Objectives of the course
The Design course preliminary purpose is to offer the students an initial theoretical and experimental framework, of the teachings of the Industrial Design in the Master Degree in Architecture. The course also aims to provide the basic tools, analytical and operational purposes, for understanding the industrial products and the formulation of the project ideas (concept design) in the light of the needs expressed by contemporary society. In particular, the course intends to convey the "fundamentals" of the discipline, either through a methodological approach to the design process, through some early specialist contributions, which can help the student to understand the complexity of the matter and its multidimensional nature.
The application field of Design
The program of the course will take as the inquiry field of yacht design. The critical analysis of the product and the subsequent design exercise, will have as field of investigation, a pleasure boat of small dimensions.
Basic knowledge of manual representation techniques of the project.
Basic knowledge of the programs of 2-dimensional drawing, 3-dimensional design, representation, project communication programs.
Basic knowledge of english language.
The main topics of the lectures will cover: introduction to the yacht design; the role of the designer; theories, methods and tools of project; system project-product-user; the human factor; ergonomics in micro-habitable environments; traditional materials and material evolution; polymers and advanced composite plastics; production processes.
Critical analysis of a small series pleasure boat.
Exercise design inherent to the topics discussed and articulated in:
brief (document containing the pre-design requirements of various kinds: technical, functional, fruition, morphological etc.)
concept design (representation of the idea behind the project is derived from the guidelines emerging from the analysis and the brief).
The course, in addition to laboratory activities with tutors, provides many steps of testing and evaluation, during the course and final evaluation.
The ongoing evaluation will cover:
pre-design analysis of a pleasure craft.
the final assessment, on examination adhere to critical discussion of the design documents produced during the course.
about general design culture
- Celaschi F., Deserti A., Design e innovazione, Carocci, Roma 2007.
- De Fusco, R., Storia del design, Laterza, Roma-Bari 2006 (7° edizione).
- Levi M. Rognoli V., Materiali per il design: espressività e sensorialità, Editore Polipress, Milano 2005.
- Norman D., La caffettiera del masochista. Psicopatologia degli oggetti quotidiani, Giunti, Firenze 1990.
- Salvi, S.A., Plastica, tecnologia, design, Hoepli, Milano 2001.
- Trevisan M., Pegoraro M., Retail Design, Franco Angeli, Milano
- AA VV - Storia del disegno industriale 1919-1990 Il dominio del Design - ELECTA Milano '91
- VITTA M. - Il progetto della bellezza - EINAUDI Torino 2001
about yacht design
- AA VV - Architetture del mare - ALINEA Firenze 1994
- CREPAZ S. - Teoria e progetto di imbarcazioni a vela - ZANICHELLI, Bologna 1986
- DARDI D. e PAPERINI M. Interior Yacht Design. Abitare tra cielo e acqua - ELECTA, Milano 2009
- LARSSON L. e ELIASSION R. - Priciples of Ycht Design - INTERNATIONAL MARINE Camden Maine, USA 1994
- MARCHAJ C.A. - Teoria e pratica della vela - MURSIA, Milano 1976
- VALLICELLI A. (a cura di) - Il Disegno Industriale per la Nautica - SALA ed., Pescara 1999
- VALLICELLI A. (a cura di) - Design Nautico - SALA ed., Pescara 2002
- MARANO A. (a cura di) - Design e ambiente - ed. POLI.design; Milano 2004
- FOSSATI F. - Teoria dello yacht a vela - ed. POLIPRESS – Politecnico di Milano, Milano 2007
- MUSIO-SALE M. - Disegno delle imbarcazioni - Paravia, Torino 1995
- RATTI A._PIARDI S.-Materiali e tecniche innovative nel settore nautico-ed. POLI.design, Milano 2001
about materials and processes
- SALVI S.A. - Plastica Tecnologia Design - HOEPLI Milano 1997
- ASHBY M. e JOHNSON K. - Materiali e Design - CASA EDITRICE AMBROSIANA Milano 2005
Further references on specific issues will be provided during the lessons.